Through our Maths teaching at Olton ‘we aim to develop lively, enquiring minds encouraging pupils to become self-motivated, confident and capable in order to solve problems that will become an integral part of their future.’
We aim for all children to:
- become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that pupils have conceptual understanding and are able to recall and apply their knowledge rapidly and accurately to problems
- reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language
- solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.
- develop confidence and accuracy in using a range of mathematical language
- Most importantly that they view themselves as Mathematicians.
Additionally, our lessons aim to:
- foster positive attitudes, fascination and excitement of discovery through the teaching and learning of mathematical concepts.
- develop a ‘can do’ attitude in our children, especially when problem-solving.